Saturday, July 25, 2009

Don't Blink

Ah, it seems like just yesterday that you decided to make an early appearance. (Four weeks early!) Mommy and Daddy weren't ready for you in the sense of having all of your clothes and gear ready, but oh, we were ready for you! So ready that it was hard leaving you for six days without bringing you home with us. Then, we had never been so excited, happy, or scared walking through the door at home with you our tiny, barely 5-pound peanut.

In a blink, six months went by. I remember holding you before bedtime one night after your six-month birthday. I remember so vividly where we were sitting, what I was thinking, and that it was just the two of us. (Daddy was at work...) I wanted to remember forever what was racing through my head at that moment. I wanted you to know too. In the dim light of the TV glow, I wrote you a letter as I cried while you slept next to me. It's nothing fancy, just scribbled on a piece of computer paper, folded, and kept in a box. When you're older I'll give it to you, but for now on your milestone 5th birthday, I'll share just a bit...


January 26, 2005


...I cry because I love you so much it hurts, because I wonder where the past 6 months have gone and how you've grown so big without more than a moment it seems passing, and because I can't imagine life without you now....


...I have to wonder if you'll ever know, though, how much I really love being you mommy and how much joy you've brought to me in six short months. I can't believe this is my life- you're my life...

...I thank God for you as I kiss you goodnight again.


I love you, Isabella Grace, always. Mommy


Wow, six months seemed to pass so quickly then. Now, 5 Years have gone by in the same amount of time, "without more than a moment it seems passing". It's a bit of a flashback now, sitting and writing my thoughts to you with tears streaming down my face. Only this time, the words are on a computer screen, not computer paper...

We're happy and excited that you're growing older into a wonderful little girl and amazed at all you do now. We think you'll understand, though, how bittersweet it is when you have a daughter or son of your own and wonder how 5 years went by in the blink of an eye.


Happy 5th Birthday!

We love you, Isabella Grace, always.

Daddy & Mommy


Photobucket

5 comments:

Chanda said...

I hope she had a great day! The letter is so sweet, now you have me crying! My son turns 5 in October and it does go way too fast.

Lenae said...

So sweet! Happy birthday to your little girl! I remember the almost painful, overwhelming balance between nostalgia and excitement as I observed my firstborn get older. What am I saying?! I don't think the balance EVER stops. Man, this parenthood thing is brutal on the heart, but such a blessing :) Thanks for sharing!

yadda yadda said...

Serioulsy between the music, precious photographs and a letter from a Mommy, your blog has me weeping! If only we could capture every moment and never forget!

Love said...

oh, happiest of birthdays to your sweet, little girl. i could've typed this very post about our chloe. i totally remember crying with love watching her sleep.
and just looking at bianca right now...6 months old...my heart ACHES with love.
thanks for this sweet post.
you are blessed! =)

Such The Spot said...

Awwww! Judging from just the snippets you shared, she's going to love that letter. So beautiful. Happy belated birthday to the little doll.