Thursday, July 15, 2010

More than a Lemonade Stand...

We had a lemonade stand in our front yard on Sunday...

It's something that the "big" kids have been bugging me to do for a long time. Like going on two months long... Isabella would ask weekly, "Wheeen are we gonna have our lemonade and sucker stand!?"

"Soon, Honey... Let's wait until summer
so it's nice and hot."
"Soon, Honey... Let's wait until the
weekend so we have more customers."
"Soon, Honey... It's raining today."
"Soon, Honey... Let's wait until Daddy is
home and can see you and help."
"Soon. Soon. Soon."

Can you tell yet that it was one of "those" things that I put off not due 100% to the reasons given, but for my own selfish ones? ...it will be work to put it together, and it will put me out of my comfort zone, and what if I have to meet a lot of new neighbors, and what if nobody comes and my heart is broken for my children's hearts, and, and, and...

Sunday was the "perfect" day... It was summer and hot. It was the weekend. It was beautiful and sunny. Daddy was home.

We made signs during Brigg's naptime, prepared our lemonade, and gathered our supplies. We set up in a whirlwind while keeping kids corraled off the street. The babes were blissful.

I was worried that nobody would come, since it was close to supper time. Did they come? Boy, did they ever!! A flurry at the beginning, a few in the middle, and selling out during a flurry at the end, forcing us to cease operation until another time. Another perfect day...

As I sat there on my blanket next to our stand watching my oldest scurry up to the table-sit-smile-wave as each car turned the corner, I learned so much. This was more than just a burdensome lemonade stand to me, and so, so much more than a lemonade stand to them. When I look at these pictures of our three babies sitting in a row behind their stand, my heart swells and aches. It truly was the perfect lesson, the perfect day...
Photobucket

14 comments:

Anonymous said...

I would have bought lemonade and a blow pop from these cuties for sure! Brought a tear to my eye...miss you all!

Love, Kel

GiGi said...

HOW PRECIOUS. Glad they had fun xoxo

Sarah said...

Love it. The lemonade stand and the lesson!

Amy@My Front Porch said...

Ohh! I love it! I can't wait to have a lemonade stand with my girlies :)

Anonymous said...

I can totally imagine you being worried that no one would show up to buy. I would feel the same day. I'm so glad it was such a smashing success!

amy said...

This is pure sweetness:)

Amy

Stephanie Wilson she/her @babysteph said...

How fun- and I would have loved a Blow Pop! :)

Steph

Bridgett said...

that is adorable!

FilledToTheBrim - Kate said...

How fun!! And those sunglasses are too cute!

Chris Brown said...

Oh they are growing up so much! Thanks so much for capturing it in pictures.

Farmgirl Paints said...

You are a good momma! I would have felt the exact same way;)

{darlene} said...

awww. Classic kid stuff. Don't you love making those memories???
Found you through MFW blog roll, and I will be following along!! Nice to meet you, and I am looking forward to learning more about MFW from you.
We start homeschool and MFW K this fall!

Joelle said...

Hello, came over from the hip homeschool hop. This lemonade stand is really cool. I trust that you will have a great first year of homeschooling.

Unknown said...

Looks like you guys had a wonderful time & made some great me memories! What a blessing :D

-Good thing you don't live in Oregon!!:

http://thebovine.wordpress.com/2010/08/09/seven-year-old-childs-lemonade-stand-latest-target-of-crackdown-in-oregon/

Crazy stuff.